What is MPEDA License?
The Marine Products Export Development Authority(MPEDA) was set up under Section (4) of the MPEDA Act, 1972, and became functional from 20th April 1972. It is a statutory body functioning under the Department of Commerce. The MPEDA, a statutory body, is responsible for the development of the marine products industry with special reference to exports. It is headed by a Chairman. It has its headquarters at Kochi and has a number of Regional and Sub- Regional Offices.
Services offered by MPEDA
- Registration of infrastructure facilities for Seafood Export trade
- Collection and dissemination of trade information
- Projection of Indian marine products in overseas markets by participation in overseas fairs and organizing international seafood fairs in India
- Implementation of development measures vital to the industry like distribution of insulated fish boxes, putting up fish landing platforms, improvement of peeling sheds, modernization of industry such as upgrading of plate freezers, installation of IQF machinery, generator sets, ice-making machinery, quality control laboratory, etc.
- Promotion of brackish water aquaculture for production of prawn for export
- Promotion of deep-sea fishing projects through test fishing, joint venture, and equity participation
Why this License is Required?
In 1972, the Government of India (GoI) introduced Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) to diversify aquaculture, promote the marine product industry for exports, regulate exports of marine products, ensure sustainability and quality in the production of seafood.
Who can get MPEDA License?
Sea Food Exporters
Sea Food Manufacturers
Processing Entities of MPEDA
Document Required for MPEDA License
Registration as an exporter of marine products (MPEDA)
Nature of the organization
For Marchant Exporter
Bank Guarantee: – The new Merchant Exporters of frozen marine products should submit a Bank Guarantee of Rs.15 lakh for a period of 5 years to MPEDA for enforcing accountability and for honoring the settlement in cases of quality complaints and trade disputes Merchant Exporters shall fulfill the following conditions highlighted in the guidelines for obtaining exporter registration:
1. The certificate of registration as an exporter issued to a Merchant Exporter shall indicate the name and number of the Processing Plant / Handling Facility and the Storage premises the production from which alone the holder is allowed to export.
2. The name and number of the Merchant Exporter utilizing the surplus capacity of Processing Plant or Handling Facility shall be endorsed on the certificates of registration or Processing Plant / Handling Facility and Storage premises.
3. Merchant Exporters shall enter into a regular written agreement with the owner of the Processing Plant or Handling Facility.
Role of Shamkris and Process of MPEDA License
Shamkris adopts a results-oriented approach to compliance with mandatory licence requirements in the organization. A simple and guidance methodology help organisation to achieve licence in a timely manner and cost-effective. Shamkris support 100% in advisory, Guidance, Compliance with respect to license requirements to obtain approval.
The License process described below:
Advisory for the document required
Preparation of documents as per application & list of documents.
Inspection by the department if required
Yearly Compliance if Applicable
Renewal when due
Who can issue the MPEDA License?
Registration of infrastructural facilities for seafood export trade. Collection and dissemination of trade information. Promotion of Indian marine products in overseas markets.
- Project report.
- Plant layout.
- Permission from the Local body to run such processing unit.
- Certified copy of Title deed.
- Clearance Certificate from the Pollution Control Board, other documents, if any, as required by the registering authority.